Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Me


There are different ways that determine the personality a person has. The four main ones are: birth order, heredity, parental characteristics, and cultural environment. Each is like an ingredient that is combined to make one big recipe. I guess I am a fruitcake after all. I am the middle child, or what some make call “the forgotten child.” The middle child as traits such as a peacemaker, independent, creative, attuned to others, and a “chameleon”. I guess I do like the feeling of being independent and not having people telling me how to do things. That’s one reason why I’m still single, I believe. I do try to help anyone who needs help, but I don’t see myself much as a peacemaker. If there’s any trouble or conflict, I try to stay out of it and walk away from it. I do believe I’m creative! I love writing because I feel like I can express myself better than actually talking. I like making stories and do a little drawing at times. I feel creativity is a big characteristic of mine and hopefully will help me find a job that will build on it more. As for being a social chameleon, yes and no. I will get along with anyone who gets along with me. I don’t care if you’re popular, unpopular, athletic, not athletic, purple or yellow, If you give me the time of day, I’ll do my best to give you mine. I have friends in different social circles and that’s okay.
            When it comes to heredity, I’m a mix of my parents. I’ve been told I look like my mom while others comment I look like my dad. I got my dad’s round face and eye color but other than that I see a lot of my mom’s traits, like hair color or how my eyes look. Both my parents are fairly average in height but short height is very common on both sides of the family and probably contributes to why I only stand 5’9’’. I was blessed with low metabolism that both my parents share but also blessed with good taste in food.
            As for parental characteristics; when I look at my mom and dad, I see some characteristics from my dad and more from my mom. My dad is an introvert which I identify as myself. He doesn’t really look for conversation unless he is approached. He will talk with you as long as you start talking. This is definitely me. He’s not very patient and neither am I. He’s not really good at comebacks or receiving what he dishes out and neither am I. Dad’s sense of humor is a hidden treasure, which I think I inherit some of it. As for my mom, I get her sensitivity, forgetfulness, care for others, able to perform in front of others, creativity, and able to know what’s right and what’s wrong. She also has a good sense of humor that is also embedded inside of me. If there is anyone who is feeling down or needs help cheering up, I will do anything just to make someone happy and smile. That is what my mom does best.
            And finally we have cultural environment. My mom is Catholic and has heavily influenced my religious beliefs. Ever since I was a baby, mom would take me and my sister to church. We didn’t have a cable when I was a toddler so my mom would read stories from the bible to me and teach me what Jesus was all about. By the age of five, I would be praying a rosary. Now that my dad converted to Catholicism, we are strict in a religious sense. Mom still makes sure we all get to church Sunday morning or even Saturday evening if we have to. Even though there are things I disagree with that the Catholic Church says, my mom thinks it’s all right. I believe that homosexuality is fine while she believes that gays go to hell. I asked her once what she’d say if I ever said I was gay and she would tell me to “get back in the closet.” As I grew up a boy, I was surrounded by mostly female. My dad worked a lot as a kid growing up so I hung out with my mom or my older sister. I was really close with my Grandma too! I feel that since I was around girls a lot as a youngster, I get along with a lot of girls. I’m not bragging because I get friend zoned by every single one, but I feel like I can relate to them easier than most guys could. I try to be nicer to them just because I know they can be a little more sensitive than boys. I remember if I made my mom cry when I was little, I would feel devastated and would try anything to cheer her up. I think moments like that really influenced how I help girls who are experiencing sadness.
            Out of all of these, which is most important? I think all of them are important. Each helps me shape who I am. It’s interesting how your personality is built on many different types of blocks. Many of it comes from your parents. I think it’s really important for parents to be there for their kids. I’m blessed to have great parents who took care of me properly and taught me good morals who made me…..me.

No comments:

Post a Comment